The 22-mile Old Plank Road Trail sits on 135 acres between Joliet east to Chicago Heights. The trail is a flat, paved linear trail that is ideal for biking, hiking/running, in-line skating, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing. Converted from an abandoned railroad, the corridor was originally secured to build a wagon and horse road using wood planks but the road was never built.
This tour is brought to you by:
Thank you to the following organizations for submitting trail information: Chicago Southland's 62 Municipalities, Forest Preserves of Cook County, Forest Preserve District of Will County, Active Transportation Alliance and South Suburban Mayors & Managers Association.
On May 30, 1958 the original Matteson Village Hall bell was dedicated to the memory of Frank Allemong, who served as Matteson Village President for 21 years.
459 W Nebraska St, Frankfort, IL 60423
(815) 469-2107 For 40 years, the Creamery in Frankfort has been serving the best ice cream in the Chicago Southland. Cones, cups, bars, blasters, sundaes, shakes, malts; your mouth wonâ€™t stop watering! The Creamery is not just ice cream, they also offer a variety of delicious traditional American sandwiches and snacks. Open daily 11AM-9PM; Bike Rack - Yes
11 S White St #111, Frankfort, IL 60423
(815) 277-2790 Parched or forget to pack a snack? Stop inside the Old Trolly Barn in Frankfort for a fresh, from scratch, farm to table rotisserie meal at Cultivate Community Table. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, they also have wine plus a variety of craft beer on tap. Have a sweet tooth? Cultivate Community Table has desserts to die for! Open Tu-Sa 8AM-8PM; Su 8AM-4PM; M Closed; Bike Rack - Yes
13 White St, Frankfort, IL 60423
(815) 469-3356 Thereâ€™s not much you canâ€™t do in historic downtown Frankfort. Specialty boutiques, casual and fine dining, the KidsWork Childrenâ€™s Museum, and over 30 other professional businesses. Downtown Frankfort hosts a wide variety of family-friendly community events that create a vibrant town center amidst a quintessential small-town setting. Shop & restaurant hours vary; Bike Rack - Yes
(708) 283-4900 As transportation increased along Lincoln Highway, Americaâ€™s first coast-to-coast road, so did the need for roadside assistance and auto repair. The Mahler familyâ€™s garage was there to meet the needs of the increasingly mobile public. The mural is displayed on the actual building that is shown in the mural. This is one of a series of nine murals completed in 2012 by Jay Allen in the Chicago Southland. Open daily dawn to dusk; Bike Rack - No
145-199 Veterans Pkwy, New Lenox, IL 60451
(815) 462-6400 Beautifully landscaped, the New Lenox Commons is home to the Performing Arts Pavilion where the Village hosts a variety of concerts and movie nights. You can also find the New Lenox Public Library (815- 485-2605) in the Commons, as well as the Villages Veterans Memorial. And donâ€™t miss their amazing Christmas lights and Americaâ€™s biggest light-up Santa Claus this holiday season. Open M-Th 10AM-8PM; F 10AM-6PM; Sa 10AM-4PM; Su 1PM-5PM; Bike Rack â€“ Yes
Old Plank Rd Trail, Matteson, IL 60443
The Old Plank Road Prairie Nature Preserve along the trail in Matteson has over 200 plants unique to the prairies with over 2,000 species of animals, over 175 birds and insects not ordinarily seen except in prairies. Open daily dawn to dusk; Bike Rack - No
North St, Matteson, IL 60443
(708) 748-2005 Train enthusiasts of all ages will love this prime location! One of the countryâ€™s largest rail intersections, the handicapped accessible 35â€™ high viewing platform gives you the perfect view of where the Canadian National main line connects with the Metra line. At least 32 trains pass through this site daily. Open daily 24 hours; Bike Rack - Yes
You should consult your physician before starting any exercise program. Bicycling is an activity with risk of personal injury. My City Bikes and its affiliates are not responsible in any capacity for harm or injury that may occur as a result of bicycling. You are solely responsible for your safety while biking.